I READ SO MANY GOOD BOOKS THIS YEAR. I finished 2015 wondering how I could possibly read more than 68 books in a calendar year. HA HA HA HA. I read almost double that this year, though I highly doubt I can beat that next year with two book releases.
These questions are from The Broke and the Bookish. Yes, I selectively picked from the questions. Sometimes because I had no answer and other times because I COULD NOT DECIDE.
Here are my 2016 reading statistics and favourites.
Number of Books Read: 119 (as of 12/31)
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read the Most: YA Fantasy
THE CROOKED KINGDOM by Leigh Bardugo (Pub. 2016)
Runner Up: THE GIRL OF INK AND STARS by Kiran Millwood Hargrave (Pub. 2016)
CONSIDER by Kristy Acevedo (Pub. 2016)
Runner Up: INTO THE DIM by Janet Butler Taylor (Pub. 2016)
AND I DARKEN by Kiersten White (Pub. 2016)
GIRL IN PIECES by Kathleen Glasgow (Pub. 2016)
Runner Up: JERKBAIT by Mia Siegert
YA Paranormal/Magical Realism:
THE SCORPIO RACES by Maggie Stiefvater (Pub. 2011)
FOR REAL by Alexis Hall (Pub. 2015)
Runner Up: SUTPHIN BOULEVARD by Santino Hassell (Pub. 2014)
(1) Best Book you read in 2016?
(2) Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going to Love More But Didn’t?
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
4. Book You “Pushed” the Most People to Read (And They Did)?
5. Best series you started in 2016?
6. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
7. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
8. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
9. Most memorable character of 2016?
10. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
I could be a total pedant here and POINT OUT that books written in 2016 probably won't hit the shelves until late 2017 early 2018 at the earlier, but I won't.
11. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?
12. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
13. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!):
14. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 from an Author You’ve Read Previously:
15. Best Book You Read in 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY on a Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
16. Best 2016 debut you read?
17. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
18. Book That Put a Smile on Your Face/Was the Most FUN to Read?
19. Book That Made You Cry or Nearly Cry in 2016?
20. Hidden Gem of the Year?
21. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
22. Most Unique Book You Read in 2016?
23. Book That Made You the Most Mad?
This is an easy one, and I'm actually conflicted about posting it here because I don't want it to get ANY MORE advertising space than it already has. Don't get me wrong, as I think my favourites list proves, I am a pretty big m/m romance reader. But this book is a giant garbage fire.
Not only are there massive consent issues between the protagonist / love interest, BUT the book casts a child sex slave in the role of antagonist. He's EIGHT YEARS OLD when he starts being abused, and yet, the author thinks it's appropriate to cast him as some kind of sex fiend deviant, who uses his TWELVE YEAR OLD body to ensnare older men? GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. FUCKING GROSS.
LOOKING AHEAD TO 2017
1. One Book (two books) You Didn’t Get to in 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
3. Book You Are Most Anticipating for 2017 (non-debut)?
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend to Everyone:
No cover yet, but I read Ava Jae's INTO THE BLACK (sequel to Beyond the Red) and it is fabulous.