I did not read as much this year as I had hoped and I blogged even less than that.
2017 has brought some real highs for me: The Seafarer's Kiss, my first real heart-book, was published. I went to more conferences than ever before. I went to New Zealand! But it's also brought some serious lows. I spent a lot of the first part of the year depressed over the election. I had hoped to move back to the US this year or next, but the reality is that I would not feel safe moving back with my partner given the climate, and my pre-existing health conditions mean that I need to stay somewhere that doesn't treat people with chronic conditions like dirt. My health this year degenerated to the point that I needed to temporarily leave full-time work in order to address it. That has been the hardest.
This year, I read only 61 books. Last year, I read 117. I did meet my goal to read more books by POC. I read 19/61 books by authors of color, or approximately 30%.
Each year, I fill in the survey started by The Broke and the Bookish about my favourite reads. So here goes!
Number of Books Read: 61
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read the Most: YA Fantasy
(1) Best Book you read in 2017?
(2) Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going to Love More But Didn’t?
3. Most surprising (in a good way) book you read?
4. Book You “Pushed” the Most People to Read (And They Did)?
5. Best series you started in 2017?
6. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
7. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
8. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
9. Most memorable character of 2017?
10. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
11. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
13. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!):
Bells and Emma
14. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 from an Author You’ve Read Previously:
15. Best Book You Read in 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY on a Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
16. Best 2017 debut you read?
17. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
18. Book That Put a Smile on Your Face/Was the Most FUN to Read?
19. Book That Made You Cry or Nearly Cry in 2017?
21. Hidden Gem of the Year?
22. Most Unique Book You Read in 2017?
Looking Ahead to 2018
1. One Book (two books) You Didn’t Get to in 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
3. Book You Are Most Anticipating for 2018 (non-debut)?
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend to Everyone: